An alternative pain relief for pregnancy and birth
Acupuncture for pregnancy and birth is a safe, effective and natural treatment for all stages of your pregnancy from the early stages right the way through to birth preparation. Treatments address pregnancy related issues and conditions, and offer relief when other options might not be possible. Ensuring that you are in good physical and mental health during pregnancy, for labour and the post-natal period is important.
Acupuncture during pregnancy for:
- nausea & morning sickness
- headaches & body pain
- digestive problems
- insomnia and tiredness
- stress and anxiety
- preparation for labour/pre-birth preparation and relaxation
Women with a breech presentation may seek treatment with moxibustion from 33–38 weeks but it is preferably performed around 34 weeks of pregnancy- Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese method of acupuncture treatment, which consists of burning the dried leaves of a plant called Moxa (also known as Mugwort). It uses the heat generated to stimulate specific acupuncture points on the body.During the consultation, we give a treatment and demonstrate to patients how to self- administer moxibustion at home. Applying moxa is simple to do and it does not involve any needles. We give clear verbal and written guidelines covering method and safety to enable mothers to continue the course of treatment in the comfort of their home for up to 10 days.
At the end of the consultation, we will provide:
- Moxa sticks
- Instruction sheets (incl. list of equipment needed and method, and safety guidelines)
- Telephone support for any query
The following exclusion criteria apply for those women with the following conditions:
- Placenta previa.
- History of ante-partum haemorrhage.
- Multiple pregnancy.
- Known abnormality of the uterus or pelvis.
- History of premature labour or premature ruptured membranes.
- Previous Caesarean section if more recent than 2 years.
- Rhesus antibodies.
- Known hydrocephalic foetus.
Preparation for labour and pre-birth acupuncture
Pre-birth acupuncture is a series of specialist acupuncture individual treatments given once a week, from 37 or 38 weeks until delivery, using a combination of acupuncture and massage.
Treatment in these final weeks of pregnancy aims to create the optimal conditions for a spontaneous and effective labour. Created to nurture, nourish and restore the treatment is beneficial even if you have a c-section scheduled. It provides physical and emotional support at this key stage of your pregnancy.
We recommend a course of treatments that includes:
- weekly pre-birth acupuncture and massage treatment from 37 weeks, tailored to your specific needs
- an extended session to share acupressure techniques for use in labour with birth partners + a guide to acupressure to support pain relief and facilitate an effective labour
What our clients say
Hey, don’t just take our word for it. Read what our clients say about 2Me Clinic.
Join our community
Get the latest news and recourses for women’s healthcare.Subscribe to the Newsletter